Wednesday, July 4, 2018

July 2 -3, 2018 WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW
    I'm using what I call my "Default Setting" - something as close to "set and forget" as I can make it. The CI is set on Mode One, only mode my audiologist has programmed,  I am listening to TV tuned to a "talking heads" panel show. Kind of like a small group discussion except all voices coming from one direction. I can hear all clearly without seeing the screen, except that it is very loud and hollow. It is on as I type this. My own voice, even if I whisper, sneeze, or blow my nose is HUGE. I'm sure I could hear a pin drop, but it would sound like a railroad spike. Face to face conversation is clear and understandable but same hollow sound as TV.
    I've tuned into local classical radio WSMR using my Apple PC speakers. Wonderful clarity! Even better than on car radio. I can Mute TV or leave on. If both, I can distinguish between the two. I can tune either up or down.
    I've just subscribed to Great Courses Plus for on-going hearing practice with the added benefit of choosing from thousands of courses on every subject imaginable taught by outstanding lecturers. I've watched the first three lectures for Inventions that Changed the World on my Apple Desktop. Sound and pictures are excellent!
    Driving is a new experience. I'm hearing everything, inside and outside. I had been aware of a "flapping noise," outside, right front, as soon as I accelerated to around 60 mph and a "ticking sound" inside. I was sure the "flap" was a loose underside plastic tray. It had happened before, and I'd had it fixed. But now back.
    I took my car to Walter, left it with my list of stuff that I felt needed looking at. The vehicle just back and quiet. Walter was smiling like a Cheshire Cat when I asked if he had put a new bolt in the plastic under-tray up front so it wouldn't make such a racket. "No. Both noises were coming from the stuff you have piled in the rear. I just rearranged it."

No comments:

Post a Comment