Saturday, June 30, 2018

Friday, June 29, 2018: TURNED ON AND TUNED IN!
    It has been an exciting couple of days since my CI was activated (@4 PM Wednesday)! I had no idea what to expect. After my audiologist turned on and did the initial programming, I was able to understand speech correctly and repeat the sounds she had me duplicate, although it has a “hollow” quality. I celebrated with my daughter immediately after with dinner at an Outback restaurant. We could converse at the table. I was aware of TV and conversations at other tables. I had a little trouble understanding our waiter, perhaps because of his voice quality? With the HA in opposite ear, the sound of my own chewing was amplified. With it out, that annoyance went away.
    Here is the astonishing surprise. While driving, I turned on the radio - something I have very rarely done since owning my car. I tuned into a classical instrumental station and actually heard music - actually heard it as MUSIC! I was able to hear melody, recognize the sound of distinctive instruments. What I was hearing had depth, not just the beat I have only been able to hear. Not perfect, I'm sure, compared to what it will become over time, but a true auditory revelation! I had forgotten what music sounded like. More than that, I had forgotten the Joy of being able to enjoy music! I was also aware of the sounds around me along with the music - car/traffic noise, the sound of windshield wipers - all at the same time. With time, my brain should begin to discriminate and “tune out” distracting noises???
    I am practicing listening. I have kept the TV on. By turning the volume on the TV to over 50%, up to 80%, depending on who or what, I can hear and understand without the HA. Add the HA, and its increased volume allows me to turn the TV down. I can hit TV mute and kill the CI leaving only HA. Or I can turn off the HA using the ComPiloit. All of these work. The HA adds volume and makes speech more understandable. (None of it has improved the programming - not even God can do that.)
    And now a new set of questions: I have always been blessed with the ability to relax and sleep no matter what is going on around me. You’ve seen those people nodding off sitting up or curled on the floor with their head on a rucksack in a noisy airport. That’s me. I fell asleep twice in the dental chair while having my teeth cleaned.
    There have been studies on “ Learn while sleeping.” Is it possible that I can do Listening Practice by keeping the TV or radio on while sleeping - deep state sleep- which I’m a Master at? Will it speed my journey toward normal?
    

No comments:

Post a Comment