Monday, June 25, 2018

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 – GAIN, NO PAIN
    I wasn't in the obits, so I've had lunch after lounging in bed till 9 am following eight hours of sound sleep. The plastic ear protector made it impossible to sleep on my left side, but for an expert snoozer, that's not a problem.
    I love to sleep. It is one of the things I do best. Some years ago - all the way back to days in the Air Force.- I fell asleep standing up. I was required to show on KP in the middle of the night. Leaning against the wall in a corner, so I couldn’t fall sideways, and braced against a mop handle I held against my chest, it was a perfect buttress to keep me from falling forward. When I was awakened, the rest of the KP crew were standing in front of me laughing. If there is ever a National Sleepers competition, I will definitely be a contender!
    I haven't even swallowed an aspirin. This probably isn't typical, given the prescriptions I was provided in advance for pain and nausea. During one of my chats with a mentor who had both ears implanted at the same time, when I had asked about the discomfort I'd be likely to experience, he said he had only used a couple Tylenol.
    I'm taking my regular daily medications as directed with just one addition, Prednisone, which I began two days before the surgery and will take each day in decreasing amounts for fourteen days.
No doubt every patient will have an ideal regimen as individual as mine is for me.
    If you are reading this, which I'm writing at about 4pm, you can see I'm able to use my computer and think clearly enough to get words in some semblance of order. I'm doing this hunt-and-peck, as always.
    When asked why after all these decades writing, I've never learned to touch type. My answer is always the same - "Can't see any advantage in being able to type faster than I can think."
    Here in Florida, The All You Care to Eat State, it's almost time for dinner. With a population above average age and many on fixed incomes, Early Bird Specials are a norm for many.
     I think I just heard the dinner bell! If anything out of the ordinary happens after dessert and a few hands of solitaire, look for an email.  

No comments:

Post a Comment