Monday, June 25, 2018

Thursday, June 14, 2018 – SO IT GOES
    So far today the excitement has been taking off the hard plastic ear protector, and following directions to gently wash the area of the incision. The only "dressing" that had to be removed was a tiny strip of fabric around the base of the ear. Here's a photo. As you can see, there is a little edging of dried blood over what covered the incision.
    Of course, I can't see behind my own ear, but lightly touching the area I can't feel anything under the skin that feels like a magnet or receiver. No trouble combing my hair, which I keep very short.
    I use an electric razor which vibrates very slightly. If you wear hearing aids, that sound is amplified unless one removes the aid or aids - which I do. There is no sensation of sound or vibration when the razor is next to either ear.
    I've applied the first of three daily applications of Mupirocin Ointment with my fingertip. This is to go on for 7 days. I can't feel anything like stitches, but a friend says they are there. They'll be removed on "Turn On Day" for me, which is on the 27th when I return to Tampa to see my doctor. 

He is to expect a hug and kiss!

    I've had an excellent, quiet breakfast. Those of you who wear hearing aids know one of the most annoying things is the amplified sound of chewing. Unless I remove the aid in my right ear, I sound like a Ty rannosaurus Rex gobbling the remains of a distant ancestor. With the aid out, there is no sound of chewing on either side. But with both sides off, table conversation is as well. One of my future hopes is that with the implant and linked hearing aid opposite, the talk will return when dining with friends.
    Stay tuned, as I turn on and tune in!
    I had some residual hearing in both ears - somewhat better right side, where I'll wear an aid after the implant - perhaps the Naida Link. As a veteran, the VA has provided Phonak aids, upgrading about every five years. The most recent pair, about six months old, are controlled by a ComPilotII I wear on a lanyard around my neck. Before the impla nt with aids in both ears I was hearing - somewhat - bilaterally with three modes, Default for typical situations, T loop, and Off. I listen to TV with a cable and jack that plugs right into the bottom of the controller. I also have an in-line volume control in the wire just before the jack.
    You're probably wondering about using the phone, aren't you?
It's often like this: "Who is this?" - "Is this Richard?" - "Yes, who is this?" - "Mumperfluff, How are you today?" - "Say that again - who are you and what is your company?" - (Very fast) "Mumperfluff wi' Guberthummpp." - "What are you selling?" - "Bobbllfrumpkins." - "I don't think I need any." CLICK.
    Sometimes I'm left with the nagging thought that a "Bobbllfrumpkins" could come in very handy – but I'll never know, will I?
    And what will it be like after I'm up and running with the new system? Me, too.
Even though my Samsung Android smartphone has proper amplification, it is challenging to use except where very quiet. For most of my conversation with the cell, I use texting.
At home, I use a Magic Jack with my desktop Apple PC. It can be turned up very loud, so I prefer to take phone calls there, even though the MJ sometimes cuts in and out.
My generation began between the hand-crank, party line on the wall and the rotary dial phone. Yes, I think I talked on a Candlestick phone, probably showing off by demonstrating how well I could say "Mama," "Poppa," "Cat" to an adoring grandparent, aunt or uncle, but what they said has slipped my mind - like the conversation I had three minutes ago on my Internet Magic Jack. What goes around comes around. Right?
    I remember when the local trunk line wasn't three numbers, as today.
On I Love Lucy, whenever Lucy or Ricky Ricardo gave out their phone number, they'd say “Murray Hill 5 - 9959.” Sweet! Kinda miss that.
    The honest-to-goodness Magic for me won't be a new and improved Magic Jack. It will be new and improved hearing with my Cochlear Implant!

No comments:

Post a Comment