Monday, June 25, 2018

Sunday, June 17, 2018 – MUSIC AND THE WORD
    It's not only my favorite day the week, but it's also Father's Day! I absolutely enjoy going to church. NO. Enjoy is the wrong word. Empowered, recharged, energized, revivified - inspirited - INSPIRITED - that the word. Contact with the Creator! He not only made my ears. He made everything.
    But we're just talking about Ears here, aren't we? So here goes. A worship service is many things, from conversation with friends and church family to music, vocal and instrumental, to exposition of the Word - and especially Prayer. Ears, and hearing, are essential for all of these. Except, perhaps, for personal, rather than corporate prayer as we wait for the "still, small, voice" God may use for His end of the dialogue.
    I'm still curious today because I'm at church with one hearing aid rather than two, and wondering how much impact it will have on my understanding. Our Sanctuary has a T loop. With two aids and my ComPilotII set to that mode, I heard every word of the sermon. Not so good at understanding the words of the hymns and choruses even though that also goes through the loop. Zero for dialogue on the video clips sometimes projected on the two huge screens at the front.
    Before worship starts, two aids in, face-to-face conversation with friends is just fair because talks are going on all around.
    Today, with one ear more-or-less dead, hearing is degraded by half for casual conversation and music, such as it has been through the long decline.
    In addition to the Hearing Loop for those with hearing aids, we have individual, in-the-ear FM receivers for others who need amplification but don't wear aids. I picked up one of those at the Welcome Center on the way to my seat determined to continue testing any effect on the minimum residual hearing I discovered with TV last night.
    As the service got underway, I tried listening to T- loop to aid only. Aid out, FM receiver in best ear. Aid in, the receiver in dead-ear. Here's the result: I did hear sound in the dead ear with the FM receiver turned to maximum. Not pleasant or natural, but understandable. It also helped a little in combination with my single aid.
    As a special treat our performing musicians today included a cellist. I could watch her bow the instrument, but could not hear what she was playing - not a note. I could pick out the sound of the guitar and rhymes performed on a set of Congo drums by others of our talented musicians.
    What, I wonder will music sound like when the Implant is turned on and programmed? Will I recognize what I hear as the music I remember? I've been cautioned by my Audiologist, my mentors and by each of the company reps I've questioned, that this is likely to be a relearning process over time as then brain reaches back to buried memories.
    Your individual perceptions are likely to be different from mine as you go through your own discovery. God created each of us differently. He established patterns, but we are each solitary "snowflakes" distinct from one another. We serve an infinite Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment